Here are the 10 crazy slang phrases teenagers say these days
1. “Turn up” Definition: Want to get this party started? Then you better turn up. After all, there is nothing teens love more than #parties (except maybe #selfies). Also can be used ironically.
2. “TBT” (When it isn’t Thursday) Definition: It’s like the “Throwback Thursday” that is common vernacular for the rest of the Instagram-using world, except teens are edgy and use it on other days of the week. Throwback Thursday on a Monday? Now that is some hardcore stuff.
3. “Grind” Definition: Used to express you are in the process of doing something difficult. You have to be “on” a grind; it modifies the preexisting process you are discussing. After all, nothing is easy when you are a teen.
4. “Chirped” Definition: Basically, your ass just got called out. Teens love to tell it like it is, after all.
5. “Doe” Definition: Um, it’s like “though” but better, and used for emphasis. There really isn’t much to it.
6. “Mupload that ish” Definition: Teens LOVE technology, so they naturally have slang for the process of uploading pictures to social media via a mobile electronic device — hence, “mupload.”
7. “Swerve” Definition: Use it as an exclamatory word to emphasize a statement. It also can be used at the beginning OR end of a sentence. Because teens are notoriously “difficult” this word doesn’t exactly have a concrete definition.
8. “Swag money” Definition: Sort of like “swerve,” “swag money” is an emphatic phrase that can be used at either end of a sentence. It is used to convey “rich greatness” because, duh, as if teens would ever be caught saying something is just great.
9. “Am I right, ladies?” Definition: Did you just drop a major truth bomb? Then feel free to use this phrase. Teens don’t just like to tell it like it is, but also to tell you that they just told it to you like it is.
10. “I can’t even” Definition: Teenagers love being “dramatic” and the best way of expressing teenage drama is through hyperbolic expressions like this. After all, teenagers usually CAN even, but what would be the fun in that?
Now, these slang phrases are pretty challenging to grasp, don’t you think so? Nonetheless, you just have to go with the flow. You can never stop your teen from talking in this particular language. What you need to do is to understand it.
You have no choice. You need to understand their language so that you can be on the same page as your teen. Better understanding of your teen results in a better relationship with them!
Understanding and speaking this particular language are two different things. You pretty much need to understand it first before speaking it; that is if you want to speak it and if your kids want you to speak it.
Most probably, they wouldn’t want you to speak it. So you’re better off just understanding these crazy slang phrases.
The list of crazy slang phrases is actually longer than you think it is. Yes, teenagers nowadays are more creative. Hence, you will find a longer list of crazy slang phrases on this article on buzzfeed.com. If you really want to understand what your teen is saying, go take a good look at the whole list.
So which phrase do you often hear your teenager say?